Benue State University Courses: Benue State University Makurdi is a prestigious institution of higher learning located in Makurdi, the bustling capital city of Benue State, Nigeria. The University, which is often referred to as BSU, was founded in 1992 by the government of Benue State to provide quality education and research opportunities for its people.
With a vibrant campus life that is both exciting and engaging, BSU has become a melting pot of cultures and nationalities, attracting students from different backgrounds and academic interests. The education system at BSU is designed to promote critical thinking, creativity, and innovation, equipping students with the knowledge and skills needed to make a positive impact on society.
As the University’s slogan “Discipline, Excellence, and Service” suggests, BSU places great emphasis on academic excellence, discipline, and community service. The institution boasts of a diverse faculty comprising 10 faculties and one college, each offering a comprehensive range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
More about Benue State University Makurdi
BSU is a single-campus structured university, with its main campus located in Makurdi, Benue State’s capital. However, the institution has additional campuses in Gboko and Katsina-Ala located in Gboko and Katsina-Ala local government areas, respectively, meant for serving as practicing venues to students of the Faculty of Education.
BSU’s school fees vary across undergraduate and postgraduate programs, and it largely depends on the faculties that the student is enrolled in. However, an estimation of school fees at BSU ranges from N60, 000 to N150, 000 per year for undergraduate students, while that of postgraduate students ranges from N60, 000 to N250, 000 per year.
BSU (Benue State University Makurdi) admission requirements
Benue State University Makurdi (BSU) is a Nigerian tertiary institution located in the heart of Benue State. The university offers a wide range of academic courses to students both within and outside Nigeria. As an aspiring student of BSU, it is important to be familiar with the admission requirements in order to ensure a smooth application process.
List of BSU admission Requirements:
- O’Level Result: Prospective students are required to possess at least five credit passes in relevant subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.
- UTME: Applicants must sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and obtain a minimum score of 180.
- Post-UTME Screening: After obtaining the minimum UTME score, candidates are required to participate in the BSU Post-UTME screening exercise and obtain the required cut-off mark.
- Direct Entry: Candidates seeking direct entry admission must possess a minimum of two A’Level passes in relevant subjects, or a National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) from recognized institutions.
- Submission of Application Forms: Aspiring students are required to fill and submit the BSU online application form, along with other necessary documents such as academic transcripts, birth certificate, and passport photographs.
- Meeting the Departmental Cut-Off Mark: Each department in BSU has its own cut-off mark, which prospective students must meet in order to be considered for admission.
List of Courses offered in BSU (Benue State University Makurdi)
Benue State University Makurdi (BSU) is one of the pioneering universities in Nigeria, established in 1992. The university is located in Makurdi, the capital city of Benue State, Nigeria. The institution offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs across several faculties.
Faculty of Agriculture:
- Agricultural Economic
- Agricultural Education
- Agricultural Extension
- Animal Production
- Crop and Environmental Protection
- Fisheries and Aquaculture Technology
- Food Science and Technology
- Forestry and Wildlife Management
- Home Science and Management
- Soil Science
Faculty of Arts:
- English Language and Literature
- History and International Studies
- Linguistics and Nigerian Languages
- Mass Communication
- Religious Studies.
Faculty of Education:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Education
- Business Education
- Curriculum and Teaching
- Educational Foundation and Management
- Library and Information Science
- Physical and Health Education
- Science Education
- Vocational and Technical Education.
Faculty of Law:
- Commercial Law
- International Law and Jurisprudence
- Private and Property Law,
- Public Law.
Faculty of Management Sciences:
- Banking and Finance
- Business Management
- Entrepreneurship, Marketing
- Public Administration,
Faculty of Science:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Plant Science
Faculty of Social Sciences:
- Geography and Environmental Management
- Political Science
- Social Work.
Benue State University Makurdi (BSU)
Benue State University Makurdi (BSU) holds academic excellence in high esteem, and as such, the admission process is highly competitive, transparent and merit-based. Prospective candidates must ensure they meet the admission requirements and follow the admission procedure to increase their chances of gaining admission into the University.
- Application: To gain admission into Benue State University Makurdi (BSU), prospective candidates must apply through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and select BSU as their preferred institution.
- Admission Requirements: The academic achievement required by Benue State University Makurdi (BSU) for admission into undergraduate programs varies according to faculties. Generally, candidates must possess a minimum of five (5) O’ Level credit passes including Mathematics and English Language in not more than two sittings. Candidates are also required to score the University’s minimum cut-off mark in JAMB.
- Screening Exercise: Prospective candidates who meet the admission requirements must participate in the BSU screening exercise. The screening process includes a verification of documents and an aptitude test to assess the candidate’s academic aptitude.
- Supplementary Application: In case of limited slots, the University may announce a supplementary admission application. Candidates who have not been offered admission may apply during the supplementary process.
- Admission List: Candidates who have met the admission requirements and passed the screening exercise are listed in the BSU admission list. The list is published online and on the University’s notice board for candidates to check their admission status.
- Acceptance of Admission: Candidates who have been offered admission must accept or decline the offer via the JAMB CAPS portal within a given time frame. Failure to accept the admission may result in forfeiture of the offer.
- Registration: After accepting the admission offer, candidates must proceed to register with the University within the stipulated time frame. Registration includes payment of acceptance fees, clearance, course registration and other necessary processes.
- Orientation and Matriculation: Newly admitted students participate in the University’s orientation and matriculation exercises. The orientation programme is designed to familiarize students with the University’s policies, facilities, and services, while the matriculation ceremony marks the official admission of the student into the academic community.