Are you looking for the new 2024/2025 NECO syllabus for literature in English? Is NECO literature syllable real or fake? Where do I get the real area of concentration for NECO? Download the latest NECO topics to read including all the newly approved literature books (prose, drama and poetry) for Senior Secondary schools.
Is NECO Syllabus real or Fake?
NECO syllabus are real. They contain the topics recommended by the National Examination Council for SSCE students.
90% of the NECO syllabus are the same with that of the West African Examination Council (WAEC).
SCHEME OF EXAMINATION
There will be three papers – Papers 1, 2 and 3. Papers 1 and 2 will a composite paper and will be taken at one sitting.
Paper 1 will be a multiple choice objective test. It will contain fifty questions distributed as follows:
(a) Twenty questions on General Knowledge of Literature;
(b) Five questions on an unseen prose passage;
(c) Five questions on an unseen poem;
(d) Twenty context questions on the prescribed Shakespearean text.
Candidates will be required to answer all the questions within 1 hour for 50 marks.
Paper 2 will be an essay test with two sections, Sections A and B.
Section A will be on African Prose and Section B on Non-African Prose.
Two essay questions will be set on each of the novels prescribed for study.
Candidates shall be required to answer one question only from each section within 1 hour 15 minutes for 50 marks.
Paper 3 will be on the Drama and Poetry components of the syllabus.
It will be put into four sections, Sections A, B. C and D as follows:
There shall be two questions on each of the prescribed drama texts for Sections A and B. There shall also be two questions for each of the poetry sections ie Sections C and D.
Candidates shall be required to answer one question from each of the sections, making a total of four questions. The paper will take 2 hours 30 minutes to complete and will carry 100 marks.
(i) The Unseen Prose passage for Paper 1 shall be about 120 – 150 words long.
(ii) Only context questions shall be set on the Shakespearean text. The context questions will test such items as theme, characterization, style and setting in the Shakespearean text.
(iii) No essay question shall be set on the Shakespearean text.
- WAEC Syllabus For Literature In English
- NECO Syllabus for Maths 2024
- NECO SSCE Registration: Date, Deadline, Form Fee, Apply
NECO Syllabus for Literature 2024/2025
The areas of concentration in literature are the books (NECO recommended texts). So, read till the end and find out very vital information about these syllabus.
Find out more about the Literature texts and how to get them.
NECO Literature Texts 2024
- Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta
- Unexpected Joy at Dawn by Alex Agyei-Agyiri (2018 Edition)
Non African Prose
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronté
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
- Let me Die Alone by John K. Kargbo
- The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
Non African Drama
- Look Back in Anger by John Osborne
- Fences by August Wilson
NECO Syllabus for Literature in English
- “Black Woman” by Leopard Sedar Senghor
- “The Leader and the Led” by Niyi Osundare
- “The Grieved Lands” by Agostinho Neto
- “The Song of the Woman of my Land” by Oumar Farouk Sesay
- “Raider of the Treasure Trove” by Lade Wosomu
- “A Government Driver on his Retirement” by Onu Chibuike
Non African Poetry
- “The Good-Morrow” by John Donne
- “Caged Bird” by Maya Angelou
- “The Journey of the Magi” by T.S Eliot
- “Do not Go Gentle into the Good Night” by Dylan Thomas
- “Binsey Poplars (Felled 1879)” by G.M. Hopkins
- “Bat” by David H. Lawrence
Drama Text for Objective/Contextual Questions
A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare
NOTE: All NECO literature objective questions and answers will come from general knowledge in literature. To study these general knowledge (literary appreciation), I recommend Essential Literature textbook or Exam Focus on Literature in English for you. These books shared comprehensive literature general knowledge.
I hope this helps. Do well to like and share this post. Also drop a comment below.