Before you apply to study at Harvard Medical School (HMS) as an international student, it is important to take note of all the Requirements for International Students. Harvard Medical School (HMS) has a highly competitive admissions process for both domestic and international students. The requirements for international students are similar to those for domestic students, but there are a few additional steps that international students must complete.
HMS Requirements for International Students
Here are the basic HMS Requirements International Students need to apply:
- Complete a Bachelor’s Degree: All applicants, including international students, must have completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university before applying to HMS.
- Take the MCAT: All applicants, including international students, must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and achieve a competitive score. The MCAT is only offered in English, so international students must have a strong command of the English language.
- Demonstrate English proficiency: International students must demonstrate proficiency in English by taking either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. The minimum score required for the TOEFL is 100 (internet-based test), and for the IELTS, it is 7.5.
- Complete prerequisite courses: All applicants, including international students, must complete certain prerequisite courses before applying to HMS. These courses include one year each of biology, physics, and organic chemistry, and two years of chemistry.
- Letters of recommendation: All applicants, including international students, must submit letters of recommendation from professors, mentors, or employers who can attest to their academic abilities and potential. Also see the best person to write a letter of recommendation for you
- Personal statement: All applicants, including international students, must submit a personal statement describing their motivations for pursuing a career in medicine and their qualifications for attending HMS.
- Application fee: All applicants, including international students, must pay an application fee when submitting their application.
NOTE: that admission to Harvard Medical School is highly competitive, and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. International students must also compete with a smaller pool of spots available for them. Applicants are evaluated based on their academic achievements, personal qualities, extracurricular activities, research experience, and other factors that demonstrate their potential to succeed in medical school and become successful physicians.
- Apply for California Scholarship Federation (CSF) in USA
- Comprehensive List of Documents Required for Scholarship
- Refinancing Private Student Loans Application – Guideline
- Apply for $25,000 Cobell Scholarships in USA