Download NECO SSCE English Language syllabus 2023/2024 for free. This syllabus will show you the area of concentration for this year’s NECO SSCE English examination. In other words, it gives you all the English Language topics, recommended textbooks and authors which you need to read in preparation for the examination.
One thing you should note about the NECO syllabus is that all the English Language questions in your examination will come out from there. So, it is real.
The National Examination Council has officially released areas of concentration which i geared towards helping students pass their English Language examination. The examination Council understands how difficult most students find English Language. For this reason, it has decided to give topic from which all NECO SSCE questions and answers will come out from.
NOTE: This syllabus contains all the necesaary topics in lexis and structures, comprehension, test of orals, summary writing etc. It also contins recommended textbooks and authors as approved by the National Examination Council (NECO).
Is NECO Syllabus Real or Fake and How Do I get It?
Yes, NECO syllable is real because it is approved by the National Examination Council (NECO) for all senior secondary students.
Most of the topics in WAEC English syllabus are also found in NECO syllabus. So, you can the WAEC syllabus to prepare for your NECO examination.
If you are still wondering where to get the real and complete syllable for this year’s English Language, you can get it here on this website or from your school.
It is almost hard to find the real syllabus for NECO English online. For this reason, we have decided to provide you with the correct topics and recommended textbooks in order to help you pass. You can get a hard copy of it from your school or you print from this website.
Aim of This Syllabus and Area of Concentration
Please: This syllabus is specifically meant for all NECO candidates that are preparing for the NECO SSCE or GCE English language exam to use while doing their daily studies.
There is a lot that candidates will benefit from this syllabus. This syllabus is provided to help NECO candidates to;
- Acquire skills & competency in answering English questions
- Know the topics that NECO English questions will be set from.
- Write any kind of letter
- Know the key breakdowns and categories of the English language
- Learn how to use English correctly.
As I said, the NECO English syllabus is the best, the simplest, the easiest, and the most reliable material that will give candidates insights into the topics that NECO will set questions.
NECO English Language Syllabus and Topics to read for the 2023/2024 Exam
Below are the NECO English Language topics and areas of concentration to read from the 2022 syllabus. Study and cover them extensively.
READ ALSO: How to Use WAEC, NECO, JAMB GCE syllabus if You Really Want to Pass
Essay and Letter Writing
The Essay writing and letter section of the 2023/2024 NECO English examination will carry 50 marks.
Available Topics to study
- Letter writing: Learn how to write both Formal and Informal letters
- Writing a speech; Practice how to write an interesting speech
- Narrative: Learn how to write a narrative
- Making description: Learn how to make a proper description
- Debate: Learn how to present a well written argumentative essay
- Report writing: Study how reports writings are presented.
- Writing article. Learn how to write good articles.
- Essay writing. Select some good topics and practice how to write an essay.
- Writing of exposition.
This involves summarizing a reading passage.
What to practice
- Read and summarize reading passages in NECO past questions.
- Your summary should not be less than the needed number of words.
- Do not mix up points.
- Let your summary not deviate from the topic.
- Do proper paragraphing and punctuation.
- Check out and correct writing & grammatical errors, and misspelling of words.
This section of the NECO English paper takes 40 marks. The comprehension section has two different paragraphs and the two are to be answered in 50 minutes. Each paragraph has over 300 words.
What to study?
- Practice how to read with speed using past questions.
- Practice careful reading.
- Note points while reading and use them to answer the questions that will be set from the passage.
LEXIS and STRUCTURES
The following are the recommended topics to study under lexis and structures are; Cover them extensively.
- Idiomatic expression.
- Words and their meanings.
- Sequence of tenses
- Pronouns and matching of pronouns in sentences
- Noun referents
- Prepositions in sentences
- Use of figurative
NECO Syllabus For Oral English (Test of Orals)
Oral English is paper 3. This section of the NECO syllabus is for Oral English (paper 3) of this exam. The following are the recommended topics to expect questions from.
Listening Comprehension: Candidates are advised to read the following topics extensively and expect many questions from them.
- Test vowels and consonants
- Stress and stress patterns
- Diphthongs and Monophthongs
CONSONANTS: Study and know Single Consonants, Consonant sounds, and clusters
VOWELS: Do well to study the following extensively;
- Vowel system
- Pure Vowels
- Sound contrasts
STRESS: Try and cover everything about STRESS.
- Primary Stress
- Emphatic stress
- Word Stress
- Sentence Stress
INTONATION: Study the following topics;
- Intonation patterns
- Pitch fall and rise patterns
Concord Rules in English: Please, spend time and study everything on this topic;
- Verb and subject agreement
- Rules and their application in sentences
Other topics to study;
- Syllable Structure
- Phonetic Symbols and transcription
- Patterns in Sentences
- Phrases and Clauses
Download NECO SSCE English Language Syllabus for SS1-SS3
Tap on the link below to download the syllable for free.