Read and download the WAEC syllabus for English Language 2023/2024 PDF (Essay writing, summary writing, oral English and so on).
The 2023/2024 WAEC syllabus gives you all the areas of concentration, recommended textbooks and authors to follow. The topics will enable your read in line with what you should expect in your examination.
The West African Examination Council has approved some topics, area of concentration, scheme of work, text books and authors for all West African countries to follow.
How Do I know where WAEC questions will come from? The only place to get them is from the WASSCE syllabus. So, follow the article accordingly.
NOTE: This WAEC syllabus for English language is for both SSCE and GCE. So, whichever examination you are sitting for, do well to follow this syllable.
Scroll down to download the complete scheme of work for English language
2023 Area of concentration and WAEC Syllabus for English Language
The Essay Writing section of the WAEC English exam carries 50 marks of the total marks. Topics to study in this section are the following.
- Letter writing (Formal or Informal)
- Writing a speech
- How to write a narrative
- Making description
- Debate writing and presentation of argumentation
- Report writing
- Writing article.
- Essay writing.
- Writing of exposition.
Hints for this section.
- Your write up should meet the number of words stated on the Exam paper (Mostly, not less than 450 words)
- Let your write-up be unique and related to the topic. Do not deviate from the subject matter you are writing about.
- Make sure to paragraph your write-up properly using a formal format with proper arrangement of your points and emphasis.
- Avoid making grammatical errors, wrong punctuation, or misspelling of words.
This section of the paper covers 40 marks of the total marks. The WAEC English Language comprehension section consists of two paragraphs to be answered in 50 minutes.
Each of the paragraphs has over 300 words.
What you should study in this section?
- Learn how to read passages carefully and answer questions from them.
- Get past questions to see sample passages, read them, and answer the questions in them.
- Questions from the comprehension passages are OBJ questions.
What to study?
LEXIS and STRUCTURES: The topics to study under lexis and structures are;
- Idioms and idiomatic expressions.
- Dictionary meanings of words.
- Sequence of tenses
- Pronouns and matching of pronouns in sentences
- Noun referents
- Prepositions in sentences
- Use of figurative
WAEC Oral English Syllabus for 2023
This section is for the WAEC Oral English syllabus. The following are topics that the WAEC Oral English questions will be set from.
Note: This is still part of the 2023 WAEC Syllabus for English Language and the Oral paper is paper 3 of the English Language Exam.
Listening Comprehension: Topics to study under listening comprehension
- Test vowels and consonants
- Stress and stress patterns
- Diphthongs and Monophthongs
CONSONANTS: Important topics to cover in this section are;
- Single Consonants
- Consonant sounds and clusters
VOWELS: Cover the following topics
- Vowel system
- Pure Vowels
- Sound contrasts
STRESS: Topics to study
- Primary Stress
- Emphatic stress
- Word Stress
- Sentence Stress
INTONATION: What to study in this section
- Intonation patterns
- Pitch fall and rise patterns
Other important topics to cover;
- Syllable Structure
- Phonetic Symbols and transcription
- Patterns in Sentences
- Phrases and Clauses
- Concord Rules
- WAEC Syllabus for Biology PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Economics PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Chemistry PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Financial Accounting PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Physics PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Maths Download PDF
- WAEC Syllabus For Literature In English PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Government PDF
Recommended Textbooks and materials to use for 2023
Now that you have known the topics to read for the exam, I want to recommend the following textbooks and materials for WAEC candidates to use along when doing their studies.
Below are the best and recommended textbooks to read for the 2023 WAEC English exam.
- Practice in Spoken English written by Attah, M.
- English Lexis and Structure (Revised Edition), written by Bamgbose, A.
- New Oxford Secondary English Course, written by Banjo, A.
- Essential Oral English, written by Caesar, O.
- Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills written by Egbe, D.
- Oral English by Elugbe, B.
- Senior English Project 3 by Grant, N., and Co.
- Oral English at Your Fingertips, written by Idris, U.
- Common Errors in English, written by Nnamonu, S.