The WAEC syllabus for WAEC Syllabus for Civic Education 2023/2024 PDF Download is now out for all WAEC students. All candidates are expected to download and go through these areas of concentration in order to know the topics from which exam questions would be set during the WASSCE exercise.
It should also be noted that these topics are approved by the West African Examination Council (WAEC). There are some recommended textbooks and authors which you’re expected to use in covering these syllabus.
It should also be noted that the WAEC syllabus for civic Education is real. It is not fake. So, if you have been wondering if syllabus are legit or not, just note that they are legit.
If you are looking for how to get civic Education scheme of work for WAEC, download it here on this page for free.
NOTE: This civic Education syllabus are both for WAEC SSCE (internal) and WAEC GCE (external). So, if you are preparing for any of them, you can use this syllabus.
There will be two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2; both of which will be in a composite paper and will be taken in one sitting.
Paper 1: This will be a 1-hour multiple-choice test consisting of fifty questions drawn from the entire syllabus and will carry 40 marks.
Paper 2: This paper will be a 2- hour essay type test consisting of three sections: Sections A, B, and C.
Each section shall contain three questions. Candidates will be required to answer four questions choosing at least one from each Section. The paper will carry 60 marks.
The sections shall cover the following areas of the syllabus:
Section A: National ethics, discipline, rights and obligation
Section B: Emerging Issues in the society
Section C: Governmental system and processes
WAEC Civic Education Syllabus 2023/2024
Section A: National Ethics, Discipline, Rights and Obligations
- importance of values to society.
Citizenship and Nationalism
- meaning of citizenship;
- meaning of citizenship education;
- goals of citizenship education;
- duties and obligations of citizens;
- meaning of nationalism;
- ways of promoting national consciousness, integrity and unity in the society;
- the nationalistic roles of individuals and groups;
- identification of local and world civic problems.
- meaning of human rights;
- categories of human rights;
- characteristics of human rights;
- meaning and historical background of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR);
- meaning and identification of the seven core freedoms of UDHR;
- importance of UDHR;
- roles of individuals, groups and government in UDHR;
- limitations to the exercise of human rights.
Law and Order
- definition of Law and Order;
- features of Law and Order;
- importance of Law and Order in the society;
- meaning of constituted authority;
- types of constituted authority;
- importance and roles of constituted authority.
- meaning of responsible parenthood;
- roles of responsible parents;
- importance of responsible parenthood in national development.
- meaning of traffic regulations;
- traffic regulation and its importance in the society;
- the roles of the individual and government in maintaining traffic regulations.
- meaning of inter-personal relationships;
- types of interpersonal relationships;
- skills that promote interpersonal relationships;
- meaning of inter-communal relationships;
- importance of inter-communal relationships;
- meaning of inter-communal conflicts.
- skills for resolving inter-communal conflicts.
Section B: Emerging Issues in the Society
- meaning and origin of cultism;
- different cult groups in Nigeria and their symbols;
- reasons for cultism;
- consequences of cultism;
- ways of preventing cultism in society.
Drugs and Drug Abuse
- meaning of drug abuse;
- drugs that can be abused;
- how drugs are abused;
- symptoms of drug abuse;
- behaviours of drug addicts;
- ways of preventing drug abuse;
- government agencies working to prevent drug abuse/trafficking and their activities;
- laws against drug abuse.
- meaning of human trafficking;
- causes of human trafficking;
- effects and consequences of human trafficking;
- efforts of government and individuals in stopping human trafficking.
- meaning of HIV/AIDS;
- causes of HIV/AIDS;
- symptoms and effects of HIV/AIDS;
- prevention of HIV/AIDS;
- stigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS.
- meaning of youth empowerment;
- youth empowerment skills;
- importance and benefits of youth empowerment skills.
- efforts of government towards youth empowerment.
Section C: Governmental System and Processes
- meaning of government;
- structure/tiers of government;
- functions of government.
Democracy, Rule of Law and National Development
- meaning, types, and features of democracy;
- importance of democracy;
- pillars of democracy;
- problems of democracy;
- meaning of rule of law;
- features of rule of law;
- importance of rule of law;
- problems of rule of law;
- meaning of national development;
- how democracy and Rule of law promote national development- good governance, employment creation and poverty alleviation etc.
- meaning of political apathy;
- causes of political apathy;
- consequences of political apathy;
- why leaders fail to protect the interests of their followers;
- how leaders can protect the interests of their followers;
- ways of discouraging political apathy.
Civil Society and Population Participation
- meaning of popular participation;
- types of popular participation;
- the need for popular participation in the society;
- traditional and modern modes of popular participation;
- achieving popular participation in politics;
- meaning of civil society;
- functions/need for civil society;
- qualities/characteristics of civil society; i.e. accountability, fairness, justice, equity etc.
- problems of civil society; i.e. bribery and corruption, inadequate funding, the overbearing influence of foreign donors etc.
Public Service in Democracy
- meaning of public service;
- functions of public service;
- problems of public service;
- reasons for the shortcomings in the public service;
- ways of improving the public service.
Civic Education Recommended Textbooks 2023/2024
|1||ADEBAYO, A.||Politics and Administration in Nigeria. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd, 1986.|
|2||ANIFOWOSE, R. & F. ENEMUO (eds)||Principles and Practice of Public Administration in Nigeria. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd, 2000.|
|3||ADAMOLEKUN, L.||Elements of Politics. Lagos: Sam Iroanusi Publications, 1999|
|4||APPADORAI A.||The Substance of Politics, Eleventh Edition. Madras: Oxford University Press, 1975.|
|5||BANJI, K.||Citizenship Education. Lagos: Dedun Educational Books, 1976.|
|6||FGN||1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as Amended. Abuja: Federal Government Press, 2011.|
|7||LEAP AFRICA||Rage for Change, a Guide for Young Nigerians who Desire to Make a Difference. Lagos: Leap Africa, 2008.|
|8||MENEKE, O.A. and NWEBO, I.||Milestone Comprehensive Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, Books 1 & 2. Owerri: Milestone Publishers Limited, 2012.|
|9||NWAUBANI, O.O.||Citizenship Education and Nigerian Culture. Lagos: T-Excel Publishers, 2000.|
|10||OGUNBAMERUN, O.A.||Reading on Campus Secret Acts. Ile-Ife: O.A.U Press Ltd, 1997.|
|11||OKUNLOYE, R.W., et al||Civic Education for Senior Secondary, Books 1, 2 & 3, UBE Edition. Lagos: Learn Africa PLC, 2011.|
|12||OLURODE, L. & O. SOYOMBO (eds)||Readings in Campus Violence. Lagos: John West Publications Ltd, 2004.|
|13||ONI, E.O., et al||Straight-Gate Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, Books 1 & 2. Ibadan: Straight-Gate Publishers Ltd, 2012.|
|14||OYEDIRAN, O., et al.||Government For Senior Secondary Schools. Lagos: Longman Nig Ltd, 1990.|
|15||OYEDIRAN, O.||Introduction to Political Science. Ibadan: Oyediran Consults International, 1998.|
|16||TANYA, R.H.||HIV/AIDS: Hope in the Midst of Despair. Lagos: Megarona (West Africa) Ltd, 2005.|
|17||UKEGBU, M.N., et al.||Basic Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, SS 2. Owerri: Maybiks Nigeria Publisher.|
|18||UNO||Human Rights: the International Bill of Human Rights. New York: United Nations Organization, 1993.|
Downloaded civic Education syllabus for WAEC 2023 PDF
You can now download this scheme of work for free on Schoolisle. Tap on the link below to download PDF.
Where do I get the Civic Recommended Books
You can buy these Civic education textbooks online, from physical books shops or get from friends who have the books. You may also get some from the school library or any public library close to you.
One of the fastest means of getting any of these books is by buying from physical bookshops.
You can also buy online as it gets delivered to you within a few days. Recommend you buy from konga.com, an online book selling platform which delivers books both within and outside Nigeria.
To easily cover all the topics in the WAEC recommended scheme of work, go through this post. It’ll guide you on how to use and quickly read all the topics on the syllable.
I hope this article was helpful. Do well to share your thoughts below.
Recommended for you:
- WAEC Syllabus for Islamic Religious Studies
- WAEC Syllabus for Igbo Language PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Geography PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Animal Husbandry PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Agric Science PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Christian Religious Studies PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Commerce PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Data Processing PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Biology PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Economics Download PDF
- WAEC Syllabus for Chemistry PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Financial Accounting PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus for Physics PDF Download
- WAEC Syllabus For Literature In English | Download PDF