The National Examination Council has officially released the 2023 new NECO syllabus for chemistry and other subjects. Go through this post and see all the correct topics which all chemistry students must read. This topic is only for SS3 science students and NECO GCE candidates.
NECO syllabus shows you all the areas of concentration for the forthcoming examination. All NECO chemistry questions and answers will be set from these topics.
- NECO Chemistry Recommended Textbooks
- WAEC Chemistry Practical Specimen – Download
- Download NECO Biology Practical Specimen
- NECO Syllabus for Maths
- Download New NECO Timetable for SS3
2022 NECO Syllabus for Chemistry and Area of Concentration
1. Introduction To Chemistry
Topics to read under the induction to Chemistry are as follows:
- Definitions of chemistry
- Scope of Chemistry
- History and genesis of Chemistry
- Measurements and quantities with their S.I units
- The scientific method: The scientific methods are:
2. Study Of Matter
Candidates are advised to read and cover up all the subtopics in this section. Topics include:
- Nature of matter
- The Kinetic theory of matter
- State of matter and Diffusion
- Changes in the state of matter. This includes; Gases, Solids, and Liquids
- Postulates the kinetic theory.
Intensively study these topics listed below are make sure you attempt to answer past questions on them:
- Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures (Know their Definitions, examples, and Differences)
- Characteristics and nature of gases: this includes Shapes of gases, compressibility, Vapour, and Gas density
3. Atomic Structure
The important topics to read under atomic structure include the following;
- The Atoms, molecules, and ions
- Atomic Theory: Note the different theories and Postulates and the scientists that discovered them
Candidates should be able to explain the following and also know their difference:
- Atomic mass
- Proton number
- Mass number
- Atomic numbers and Atomic symbols
- Sub-atomic particles
- Molecular mass
- Relative atomic mass
- Dalton’s atomic theory
- Bohr’s model of the atom.
- Electron Configuration: Study how to write the electronic configuration for different elements
Study everything subtopic on physical and chemical changes as follows:
- Physical changes: Be able to explain this with examples
- Chemical changes
- Examples and Differences between chemical and physical changes
At the end of this topic, make sure you study and know the following:
- Melting of solids (melting point)
- Boiling of liquids (boiling point)
- Evaporation of liquids (Evaporation)
- Dissolution of solutes
- Brownian motion and diffusion.
5. Theories and Principles: Know how to state the following rules and principles:
- Pauli Exclusion Principle
- Hund’s Rule
- Aufbau Principle.
6. Separation: Cover everything section under this topic
- Separation techniques
- Criteria for purity.
- Separation methods:
- Boiling point
- Melting point
- Variable oxidation states
- physical states
7. The Periodic Table; Read everything about the periodic table
- Groups and Periods
- The periodic law.
8. Periodic properties; Touch these subtopics small.
- Ionic size
- Ionization energy
- electron affinity
- Atomic radius
- number of valence electrons (Valency)
9. Chemical Bonding: Study a bit about the following subtopics
- Formation of bonds
- Complex formation
- Metallic Bonding
- ionic bonding
- Covalent bonding
- Diatomic bonding
- Interatomic bonding
- Hydrogen bonding
- Van der Waals forces
- Intermolecular bonding
- Formation of colored compounds;
Section two of NECO chemistry syllabus 2022. Please, do well to follow the topics gradually and make use of the area of concentration as approved by NECO.
10. Shapes of compounds: Study each of the following shapes.
- Polar and non-polar compounds.
11. Stoichiometry: Learn how to identify and name the following;
- Chemical symbols
- IUPAC names
12. Chemical formula: Study the differences between each of these formulas and learn how to calculate them.
- Empirical formula
- Structural formula
- Molecular formula
13. Chemical Reactions: Study everything under this
- Chemical equations and formulae
- Amount of substance.
- Acids-Base reactions.
- Chemical combination.
- Combustion reactions
- Chemical compounds
- Decomposition reaction
- Redox reactions.
- Ionic reactions
- Displacement reaction.
- Balancing of equations.
14. Experiments and Calculations: Learn how to carry out practicals, calculate, and solve all problems using the data you obtain.
Area of focus;
- Mass and volume relationships
- Percentage composition.
- Preparation of solutions
- Mole and Mole ratios
- Avogadro’s constant (6.02 x 1023)
- Molar quantities
- Dilute solution and concentrated solution.
- Concentration terms
- Amount of substance
- Yield of product
- Primary and secondary standards.
- Standard solutions.
- Calculation of Mass
- Volume and percentage
- Testing for Basic, acidic, and neutral solutions.
- Molar concentration.
- Dilution factor
Laws: Know how to state the following Laws
- Conservation of mass.
- Constant composition.
- Multiple proportions.
15. Gases and Gas laws: Study the principles of the following laws and how to apply them.
- Charles’ law
- Boyle’s law
- Dalton’s law of partial pressure;
- Graham’s law of diffusion,
- Avogadro’s law.
- Ideal gas equation
- Gay Lussacs law.
- kinetic model.
- Kinetic molecular theory.
- Gas volumes, pressure, temperature.
- Mathematical expression, relations, and calculation of the gas laws
- Real gases and ideal situation.
- Preparation and purification of gases.
- Physical properties of the gases.
- Chemical properties of the gases
- Arrangement of gaseous particles
- Compressibility of gases
- Density, and volume.
- Pressure of gases
- Boiling and evaporation.
- Temperature of gases
- Volume of gases
16. Energy: Study the following topics intensively;
- Energy Changes
- Chemical processes.
- Exothermic process
- Endothermic processes.
- The total energy of a system.
- Kinetic energy
- Potential energy
- Electrical energy
- Heat energy.
- Sound energy.
NECO 2023/2024 Syllabus for Chemistry
17. Solid: Know the following solid substances.
- Particles ions
- Molecules and atoms
- properties of solids
- Interatomic and intermolecular bonding in the solids.
- Identification of the types of chemical bonds in solid.
- Melting points of solid.
- Indicator of purity of solids.
18. Acids, Bases, And Salts: Do an intensive study on acid, base, and salt following the subtopics arrangement as shown below;
- Explanation of acids and bases.
- Physical properties of acids and bases.
- Chemical properties of acids and bases.
- Classification of acids and bases.
- Concept of the pH scale
- Acid-base indicators.
- Acid-base electrolytes and non-electrolytes.
- Strength of acids and bases.
- The reaction of Acid and Base
- Laboratory and industrial preparation of acid and base.
- Hydrolysis of salt.
Salt: Read everything about salt and its production.
- Explanation of salts.
- Types of salts.
- Laboratory and industrial preparation of salts.
- Crystallization of Salt
- Behavior of salts
Solubility: Read the following subtopics
- Definition and explanation of solubility.
- Saturated and unsaturated solutions.
- The equilibrium system.
- Solubility curves
- Effect of temperature on solubility of a substance.
- Solubility and crystallization.
- Calculations on solubility.
- Solubility rules.
Chemical Kinetics And Equilibrium System: Study these subtopics shown below;
- The rate of chemical reactions:
- Factors affecting rates of chemical reaction
- Theories of reaction rates.
- Chemical equilibrium.
- Pressure of reactants
- Collision of particles
- Transition state theories
- Activation energy.
- Energy profile
- Activation energy
- Enthalpy and Entropy change.
- Reversible and irreversible reactions.
Redox Reactions: Please, spend time and cover this topic intensively. Cover each of the following subtopics.
- Oxidation and reduction reaction.
- Oxidizing agents and reactions
- Reducing agents and reactions
- Half-life equation
- Le Chatelier’s principle.
- Redox equations
- Loss and gain of electrons.
- Oxidation state
- The electrochemical cells and series.
- Standard electrode potential.
- Addition and removal of oxygen and hydrogen.
- Loss and gain of electrons.
- Balancing of redox equations
Electrolysis: Read everything about electrolysis and learn how to solve all calculation problems.
- Explanation of electrolysis
- Faraday Laws of electrolysis.
- Principles of electrolysis
- Electrolytic cells and application of electrochemical cells.
- Practical application of electrolysis
- Discharge of species.
- Primary and secondary cells
- Daniell cell
- Calculations on Electrolysis.
Organic Chemistry syllabus and other Important Topics
this is the final stage of the NECO SSCE Chemistry syllabus. This section is the SS3 scheme of work and everything you did from the first term to the third term. So make use of this as your area of concentration.
Carbon and its Compounds: Study everything about Carbon
- Natural occurrence of Carbon
- Allotropes of Carbon
Organic Chemistry: Cover every topic under Organic chemistry
- Homologous series
- Functional group
- Organic compounds.
- Fractional distillation
- Octane number
- Empirical formulae
- Structural formulae
- Molecular formulae
- Geometric isomerism.
- Nomenclature and structure.
- Laboratory preparation of organic compounds.
- Primary, secondary and tertiary alkanols.
- Laboratory test for ethanol.
Industrial And The Environmental Chemistry
- Chemical industries
- Natural resources
- Extraction and purification
- Fine and heavy chemicals.
- Industrial pollution.
Biochemistry And Synthetic Polymers
- Proteins and uses of protein
- Depletion of the ozone layer
- Properties and sources of protein
- Amino acids
- Greenhouse effect.
- Biodegradable and non-biodegradable pollutants.
- Food processing process
- Hydrolysis of proteins;
Fats and oils:
- Formation of fat and oil
- Sources and properties of fat and oil
- Uses of fats and oils in industrial production
- Test for the presence of fats and oil.
- Saponification (Preparation of soap) from fats/oils.
- Classes of carbohydrates.
- The solubility of sugars.
- Chemical properties of carbohydrates.
- sugar test.
- Starch and glucose units.
- Plastics and resins
- properties of plastics.
- Biogradable and non- biogradable.
- Chemical test on plastics
Download NECO Syllabus for Chemistry 2023
Click on the link blow to download the syllabus for free.
The Chemistry Syllabus is long, how do I cover it on time
The fact that the syllable is much does not mean you should run away from it. It is really tiring to read all these.
Never mind, I have a verified trick for you to cover all you these within a short period of time; let’s say in a month. In fact, I extensively talk about that in my previous article and it has helped so many persons.
Let me quickly share some tips here:
- Read through the whole syllabus. First, make sure to take note everything on the syllabus.
- Get your study materials together: Get together all of the study materials you want to use.
- Use the textbooks, online resources, and other study tools that are recommended.
- Write down notes about everything you read to help you remember it.
- Make daily study goals and make sure you reach them.