Are you looking for the latest 2023/2024 JAMB syllabus for Chemistry? You are in the right place. In this article, I will give all the areas of concentration and the recommended textbooks for 2023 UTME chemistry. I will also give you a link for you to download the PDF for free.
We at schoolisle.com understand how important it is for you to have this syllabus. For that reason, we have decided to provide you with detailed JAMB scheme of work for this year’s examination. To download syllabus for other subjects you are writing, search our blog.
General objectives of chemistry in JAMB
The purpose of the Chemistry Unified Tertiary matriculations Examination (UTME) syllabus, is to prepare candidates for examination by the Board. It is designed to test achievement of course objectives.
- To understand the basic principles and concepts of chemistry.
- interpret scientific data on chemistry;
- infer the relationship between chemistry and other sciences;
- apply the knowledge of chemistry to industry and daily life;
JAMB Chemistry Syllabus (Area of Concentration) 2023/2024
- Introduction to Chemistry (including, definition and Matter)
- Separation Techniques and process
- Purification of chemical substances.
- Types of Changes in chemistry
- Melting, Boiling, vaporization, freezing, and condensation.
- Chemical combination
- Gas Laws
- Chemical formulas, symbols, and equations
- Kinetic theory of matter.
- Atomic structure and chemical bonding
- Ions (Protons, Electrons, and Neutron)
- electron configuration
- oxidation states
- complexion formation
- formation of colored ions
- Nuclear Chemistry (Read and understand the properties of Radioactivity and Nuclear reactions)
- Air: Read everything about natural gases like oxygen, nitrogen, carbon (IV) oxide, and other noble gases.
- Supersaturated solutions.
- Fats and oil, and paints
- False solution (colloids and Suspensions)
- Pollution (Sources, Causes, effects, types and controlling methods of Environmental, Air, Water, and Soil pollution) Controlling methods for Biodegradable, Oil spillage, and non-biodegradable pollutants.
- Acids, bases, and salts:
- The pH of solution and pH scale
- Reduction and Oxidation (oxidizing and reducing agents and reactions) and IUPAC nomenclature.
- Electrolysis (Electrolytes and non-electrolytes) Faraday’s laws of electrolysis, Electrochemical cells, and Corrosion of metals.
- Energy changes ∆H (Entropy and Enthalpy) Spontaneity of reactions: ∆G.
- Rates of Chemical Reaction (Temperature, Concentration, Surface Area and Catalyst)
- Chemical equilibrium
- Periodic Table
- Non-metals: Study the properties of laboratory preparation of the following Non-metals and compounds.
- liquid air
- Trioxonitrate (V) acid:
- Oxides of nitrogen
- Carbon(IV) oxide
- Carbon(II) oxide
- Metals: Study the properties and laboratory preparation of the following metals and compounds.
- Properties of metals
- Alkali metals
- Sodium hydroxide
- Metallic hydroxides.
- Sodium trioxocarbonate (IV)
- Sodium chloride:
- Alkaline-earth metals.
- Extraction of Tin
- First series of transition Metals.
- Transition Metals
- Alloy Steel,
- stainless steel,
- soft solder,
- alnico and permalloy
- Organic Compounds
- Allotropes of Carbon
- Tetravalency of carbon
- IUPAC nomenclature
- The empirical formula of organic compounds
- Aliphatic hydrocarbons.
- Physical & chemical properties, reactions, and structure of Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes, Alkanols, Alkanals, alkenones, Amines (Alkanamines), Alkanoic acids, Alkanoates, etc.)
- Homologous series.
- Aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g benzene)
- Petroleum and Petrochemicals
- Carbohydrates: mono-, di- and polysaccharides.
- Proteins: structures, tests, and hydrolysis
- Industrial Chemistry: Chemical industries, raw materials, Biotechnology, heavy chemicals.
Which Topic Does JAMB Most Questions Come Out From?
We have decided to research this for you, to enable read without hitches. The table below covers areas where JAMB has repeatedly gotten their questions from. Hope you enjoy it.
|Rank||Topic||Average % Number Of Question|
|2||METALS AND THEIR COMPOUNDS||9.5|
|3||NON-METALS AND THEIR COMPOUNDS||9.27|
|4||ATOMIC STRUCTURE AND BONDING||8.04|
|5||KINETIC THEORY OF MATTER AND GAS LAWS||5.36|
|8||OXIDATION AND REDUCTION||4.36|
|11||RATES OF CHEMICAL REACTION||3.24|
|13||SEPARATION OF MIXTURES AND PURIFICATION OF CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES||2.68|
|17||BASES AND SALTS||1.79|
|19||CHEMISTRY AND INDUSTRY||1.68|
|22||ELEMENTS, COMPOUNDS AND MIXTURES||0.89|
JAMB Recommended Textbooks for Chemistry 2023
- New School Chemistry by Ababio
- Senior Secondary Chemistry, Books 2 & 3 by Bajah, Teibo, and Co.
- Understanding Chemistry by Ojokuku (for Schools and Colleges)
- 2nd Edition: Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by Odesina
- Countdown to WASSCE/SSCE, NECO, JAME Chemistry by Uche, Iwuagwu, and Adenuga.
If you have any questions concerning Chemistry syllabus for UTME 2023, do well to drop a comment below.